Massage Introduction Course
This beginners massage course is a one day practical with supporting online material, covering the fundamentals of massage.
It is suitable for anyone looking to change careers but firstly wants to explore massage therapy and see what it is all about.
You will leave with the ability to deliver a surprisingly good massage using techniques that include effleurage, pettrisage & deeper strokes while working sensitively. Friends and family can enjoy a top to toe massage covering a majority of the body.
The most important bit is the skills you learn, how to work safely, meeting the needs of your client while working with ease. We understand the importance of using your body effectively that will enable you to have a long and successful career in massage .
If you are planning to take it further this is a great place to start, a beginners massage course will enable you to get a ‘feel’ for the profession without a big outlay of cash. It also will help you to decide if we are a good fit for you, and is a great time to ask questions from those working in the health profession about massage career opportunities.
Where can this course lead?
This one day beginners massage course will prepare you for the level 5 Diploma in Sports Massage and Remedial Soft Tissue Therapy. We integrate all levels of massage therapy into the one course thus saving both time and cost. For more information please refer to our blog ‘What is the shortest route to becoming a top-level Sports Massage & Remedial Soft Tissue Therapist?’.
WHO IS THis BEGINNERS MASSAGE COURSE FOR?
WHAT'S INCLUDED IN THIS BEGINNERS MASSAGE COURSE?
- General overview of contraindications and benefits (also supported with online material)
- You will have the opportunity to try out different massage mediums and understand their use in massage. We have a variety of lubricants to choose from such as lotions, waxes and oils, explore which ones work best for you.
- Safety precautions surrounding the application of massage
- Toweling procedures made simple, no fuss, enabling you to move your client with ease while ensuring their modesty.
- One of the most important massage skills you will learn is how to work using the optimum height of the massage couch, get this right and your touch will improve substantially, we also support this principle through the online material
- Developing an understanding of the correct body alignment and mechanics that will allow you to work deeply and sensitively while maintaining ease within yourself
- Turning your client effectively while maintaining modesty
- Massage strokes, light and deep effleurage & petrissage in multiple directions, both transverse and longitudinal deep strokes without stressing your hands
- You will learn how to work effectively in the application of supportive techniques for wrist and fists while taking into account any pre-existing conditions such as hypermobility
- Areas covered will be the front (anterior) and back (posterior) of lower limbs, the torso in prone, as well as the shoulders in both prone and supine
- A general overview of physiological effects of massage (also supported with online material)
- Add on techniques will include assisted thumb, fingers and hands. Using the forearm, deep strokes across the body while maintaining ease within yourself ensuring a long lasting proficiency in massage
- How to work effectively and confidently in and around the pelvis without causing any unnecessary discomfort
- Top tips in managing the clients arms, hands and shoulders in supine
- An introduction to massaging necks in supine and prone positions
- Massaging effectively in the shoulder and chest area
- At the end of the day you will have the opportunity to apply a top to toe massage using all the techniques that you have learnt over the course of the day. This is when it all comes together and you will be able to look back and be impressed with the abilities you have gained in such a short period of time.
- Question and answer time
We encourage all participants to review the online portion of the beginners massage course, it can also be used as a review. The following modules are included:
- Hygiene and Appearance
- Massage Mediums
- Bed Height: Setting Up
- Maintaining Client Modesty
- Working Posture Principles
- Introduction to A&P
- Contraindications in Massage
- Career Options in Massage Therapy
- Final Quiz
- Bonus Technique Videos
manual therapy video previews
This course is 90% practical. If you have never done any hands-on work before, this beginners massage course will provide you with an amazing deep, but sensitive top to toe massage for friends and family.
Check out a couple of previews below of the techniques you will be learning on the day. Full videos are available in the bonus online portion of the beginners massage course.
DATES & LOCATION
Our Massage Beginners course takes place at The Annexe, in North London:
NLSSM, The Annexe
The Old Fire Station
Town Hall Approach Road,
Tottenham, London N15 4RX
Please find full location details on our contact us page.
Upcoming Course Dates
We have the following details available for enrolment (click each course for more info):
Availability & registration
To see all available course dates and to book, please click below.
Yes! This is the only course you are required to do if you wish to join our Level 5 Diploma course. More info here.
Yes! In addition to the one day practical workshop, there is an online portion to the course. Ideally, this should be completed before you attend the practical workshop.
This course runs alongside our Massage Refresher course. You will be working with beginners to the industry and more experienced therapists looking to refresh their skills.
We provide everything you need for your training, including massage couch, towels, lotions etc.
You will need to bring your own lunch with you, or you can visit one of the nearby shops/cafes.
Yes! This course day is 90% practical, and you will be treating another student in the course/being treated yourself.
Please wear something that you are comfortable in, and can move about freely in. You will be treating others/being treated yourself, so please choose something that is appropriate for this.
Most students choose to wear activewear/sportswear.
We recommend to leave any jewellery at home, as it will need to be removed before treating.
At NLSSM, we are happy to support our students with any specific learning requirements they may have, where possible. If you have any concerns then please give us a call on 0208 885 6062 to discuss your needs.
We have carried out a full risk assessment to ensure that the highest standards of safety are in place for everyone coming in to the school, the decisions were based on the location, the layout and how we could modify the interior set up so that it meets the new health and safety requirements.